Labels

Friday, June 19, 2009

Marblehead Morning

It's a Marblehead morning colored cobblestone grey
Coming on strong for a New England day
The harbor's a forest of tall sailing trees
All ready to sail on the mid-morning breeze

*So fairwell, goodbye Landell
Oh how I wish I could stay here
Goodbye first love of mine
Look for my sails on the first day of May*

+So fair is my woman and I long to tell her
So haul away, heave away, I'm bound to sail away
Good times are coming and high times shall pass us by
Haul away, heave away, I'm bound to sail+

My ancestors sailed on days such as this
The windows wore curtains of soft weeping mistresses
Down on the common, a church bell would ring
And out on the landing, a deck hand would sing

*high chorus* and +low chorus+ sung at same time

Three hundred years of men going to sea
Marblehead men left their women to weep
A close watch upon them and a fine line between
The blue of the sky and the green of the sea

* and + choruses

It's a Marblehead morning colored cobblestone grey
As long as I live, I'll remember this day...

No comments:

Post a Comment